Monday, June 9, 2014

Out of the Ice

When I went to bed last night we were surrounded by ice floes in all directions. Not the solid, backing and ramming constantly, only going four miles overnight ice we were in a week ago, but still ice pretty much everywhere. When I woke up this morning from the best sleep I had had in days it was quiet and the boat was rolling. When I looked outside there was no ice at all! Completely open water. The vibration and sound of breaking ice makes it a little hard to sleep, but the gentle roll in calm open water is amazing. It puts me right to sleep and I never want to get out of bed. Which was ok today since it's Sunday and brunch isn't till 10am, so there's really no point in getting up at 7:00 if there's no food for three hours.

We're not planning to leave the ice permanently yet, but since the melt ponds aren't really forming yet and we have all the solid ice/pre-bloom data we need we went south into open water to get some more water and current data for a few days until the melt gets going more. Then it's back into the ice to hopefully check out the melt ponds. 

In other news, I got an Arctic Service Metal! It's an official government metal for working above the Arctic Circle in support of polar research for more than 21 consecutive days. We just passed 21 days above 66 33 latitude, so everyone on the boat got one. I also got a certificate with my name spelled correctly on it! The Coast Guard is is kind of into getting details right I think. I wonder how many artists have metals for supporting polar research above the Arctic Circle?



Open water outside the porthole this morning



No comments:

Post a Comment